4/28/2009

A Brutal Comeback

When I first heard about Brutal Legend, I thought it was pretty interesting. The game looked unique if nothing else. But in the months since I first heard about it, it just kept coming up. Everywhere I looked, it was being hyped up, and I started to get sick of hearing about it.

When it got cut from the Activision portfolio during the Activision & Vivendi merger, things only got worse as people started freaking out. But the worry was irrational. With the game so far along in development, and with such big names behind it, publishers were more than happy to pick it up. But throughout the whole ordeal, the press time devoted to Brutal Legend skyrocketed.

So its understandable that I've had enough at this point. Which is why it made it on my "I don't care anymore" list a few weeks ago.

But press releases hit up the wires again today, to announce that Brutal Legend finally has a firm release date (October 13th). And as I checked out the story, following the links the game's official site, I actually got interested again.

It was the screenshots that pulled me in again, which is why I'm including a bunch with this post. The one from the top of the mountain got me in particular, the landscape below reminds me of some of my favorite areas in Guild Wars. So I took a closer look at the screens, and realized that a lot of the world looks crazy: I think I would enjoy just wandering around looking at stuff, if nothing else.

And as the screens pulled me in, I started thinking about the other draws. Jack Black's unique voice can't help but make me smile, so it might be cool hearing it all through a game. And if the game is as funny as its rumored to be, it'll be a good time.

As long as they don't overdo the heavy metal stuff, because I'm really not into it, I'd be interested in the game. But I'll wait until I hear some hands-on previews or reviews, to hear whether the gameplay and the action hold the cool art, humor and voice acting together.

So I may not be sold on Brutal Legend, but it's back on my radar.

- Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment