8/10/2009

Spartan Redemption

Last time I posted, I was getting pretty frustrated with Dead or Alive 4. And I ended the post by saying that the game had better do something to redeem itself, or I'd be selling it back.

Trust Halo to save the day: I think I'm keeping the game now.

I finally finished the Story mode with all of the standard characters (which got supremely frustrating at times) but the reward is pretty awesome: a playable Spartan soldier. It looks just like Master Chief, but they say its a female soldier named "Nicole." It looks pretty badass, with its shiny Mjolnir armor, and it plays just as well.The Spartan is huge, towering over the other characters, and its punishing punches and kicks befit the size. It's also fairly fast, and has a combination of attacks that worked pretty well on that uber-cheap final boss (which was a huge relief for me). Check out the pic of her in her red armor beating the snot out of some chick.

But one cool character wouldn't be enough to redeem the game, if the rest of the game was as frustrating as the story mode. But I also tried out the offline multiplayer with my brother, and found the game can be a ton of fun when its balanced. We played vs. mode for quite a while, trying out the various characters against one another. One of our favorites was the new girl for DoA 4, La Mariposa. She's a masked wrestler, a very sexy masked wrestler.

Then we tried out doubles vs mode, which was even better. Pick your favorite two guys, and switch one out when its hurt so it can slowly heal while the other guy fights. It adds a fun balancing and planning aspect to the matches.

I also started playing Survivor mode, mostly doubles, which seems far less cheap than the Story mode. Using the doubles mode you can rest up one character while the other gets a couple of kills, then switch back. It's a nice strategy, and I managed to do pretty well in it.

So the game is saved from the chopping block, thanks to Spartans, Survivor Mode, and balanced & entertaining multiplayer. A full review will be coming shortly.

- Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment