3/20/2008

Video Game Soundtracks

When most people think of quality music, they probably think of the recording industry. Maybe there is a minority of people out there who think of their favorite Broadway shows or movie soundtracks. But how many people think of video games?

We all have been playing them for years, but how often do we take the time to appreciate a game's music for what it is. For most games, not often. When you're in the middle of being shot, trying to level a character, or pushing your car for those few extra seconds you really aren't worried what the stereo is playing.

But increasingly developers are putting more time and effort into games' audio. Next-gen sound has a lot to offer, and developers are utilizing their new tools. I just started playing Smash Brawl yesterday, for example, and the audio quality, even on the Wii, is outstanding. There were certain moves that I used repeatedly, even though they weren't very effective for combat, simply because the sound effects were so good.


But this focus on audio isn't brand new. One of my favorite developers, Free Radical (formed by the designers of the original GoldenEye) had some amazing soundtracks in their TimeSplitters series. And, even better, they provide full soundtracks from their games for free on their website.

The soundtrack for TimeSplitters 2 is just amazing. With great ambient tracks, like those for the wild west level, the notre dame level, or the chicago level, the music compares favorably with the best soundtracks out there. I've got the full soundtrack on my iPod, and listen to it just like I would any other music.

So it was natural for me to go to Free Radical's tracks when I was assigned to work on an audio project for one of my classes. We were assigned to create an audio composition that was exactly one minute long that conveyed the theme of "the evil inherent in mankind." I played through the soundtracks for some of TS2's darker levels, and decided on the Notre Dame level. This was only one element in a composition of a lot of pieces, but the Notre Dame piece was crucial to the final effect. (I've included a link to my audio project below)

While video games might not stick out as the best place to go for music, they often are. Nothing else I listened to had better quality or mood than the Free Radical stuff. So keep up the good work developers, and if you get discouraged, or if you decide to skimp on the audio on your new game, remember: We're listening.

- Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment