1/11/2008

Battle for Middle-Earth: 1st Impressions

Wow, I just loaded this game last night, and I'm already a fan.

This definitely feels harder than the RTS games that I am used to, which are mainly in the Command & Conquer series. The lack of a Spy Sattelite or similar structure (which allowed a player to view the whole map in Red Alert 2) makes heading off different enemy units much more difficult. Even if you played the Soviets in RA2, you could still see any land you had uncovered. The less-revealing fog of war in this game adds significantly to the difficulty.

That said, I am quickly over-coming my lazy RA2 habits and getting used to the new combat. I've been exploring different types of units and attacks. Been doing mostly skirmishes so far (that's what these screenshots are from) until I get the hang of the controls and play style. Plus... the game keeps track of which maps you've "vanquished" and keeps stats and ranking on your skirmish profile. I have to say, I really wanted to hit rank 2 already today, so I cleared 5 maps of their Mordor armies.

I've included some screenshots of some of my favorite moves and tactics from my skirmishes. The cavalry charges are a lot of fun, it's amazing to see whole squads of enemy infantry go down under the hooves of your horsemen. Massive arrow storms were also pretty effective, especially if combined between archers, heroes and defensive towers (called Keeps). Summoned allies were pretty sweet as well, I beat one skirmish using almost solely my summoned armies. While the Rohan cavalry was strong, I favored the summoned Elven archers, they could mow down enemies at an alarming rate. And finally there were the heroes, with the godfather of them all, Gandalf. He cost 6000 resources to make, more than anything else in game, but starts out at Rank 5 and is already worth a small army by himself. His array of magical attacks were devastating, I had him take point when wiping out one of my enemy's bases.

I have yet to explore the missions in this game, and we'll see if I can find good competition online, but my first impression with BFME was good. It's tough, it's fast-moving and action-packed, it follows the franchise well, and best of all, it uses Howard Shore's amazing LotR soundtrack. I used to play Shore on my iTunes while I played Guild Wars; this game plays it for me!

- Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment